Choosing an experienced, trustworthy Florida divorce attorney is the single best step you can take to help make your divorce as smooth as possible. Going through a divorce can be a highly stressful and emotional experience, so you deserve to have a trusted legal advocate who will help you achieve a fair outcome.
Unfortunately, not all divorce attorneys are created equal. Top divorce attorneys in Florida are known for their superb communication skills, clearly outlined fees, and impressive track records of success. Separating the five-star attorneys from those who are inexperienced or unresponsive is essential to securing a positive outcome in your case. Below is your five-step guide to choosing the best divorce attorney in Florida.
Step One: Arrive prepared with a list of questions
The path to choosing a winning divorce attorney begins with your preparation. Make sure you arrive early for your initial meeting with a list of questions to cover the “Who, What, When, Where, and Why” of the lawyer’s handling of divorce cases. Here are a few questions that you should include in your list:
- Who will handle my case? Some law firms outsource cases or use paralegals to handle many tasks.
- What do your legal fees include? Request a written breakdown of all services provided.
- When can I realistically expect my divorce to be finalized? A good Florida divorce attorney can estimate how long your case should take.
- Where will we meet and what are your hours of operations? Knowing when your lawyer can respond to calls and emails is important.
- Why should I choose you to handle my case? Look for a heartfelt response that references experience and a desire to help you.
- How much does a case like mine usually cost? An experienced divorce lawyer should be able to provide you with a rough estimate.
Step Two: Seek an attorney with these key qualities
“The most important thing is that you feel confident in your lawyer’s ability to handle your case competently…It is important to have an experienced attorney who will look at your case with an open mind and who will to listen to your concerns.” – Randall Kessler, American Bar Association
The experts with the American Bar Association recommend choosing a divorce attorney with whom you feel completely comfortable, as you may need to discuss information that is confidential and sometimes embarrassing. In addition to choosing an attorney with whom you feel comfortable, look for an attorney with these key qualities:
- Strong Communication Skills: Your attorney will represent you and negotiate on your behalf, so choosing a skilled communicator is key.
- Excellent Judgment: Selecting an attorney who uses sound judgment when making decisions in your case is recommended.
- Active Listening Skills: The divorce attorney you hire should be a good listener to ensure that they understand the details of your case.
- Superb Research Skills: Hiring an attorney who will leave no stone unturned when researching your case is important.
- A Proven Track Record of Success: A history of successful outcomes in Florida divorce cases will help boost your chances of a desirable outcome.
Step Three: Look for clear policies and fee structures
Attorneys vary widely in terms of their fee structures and payment policies. For example, some attorneys may charge a single flat fee for their services while others will charge an hourly rate. As you compare divorce lawyers, be sure to ask for a written copy of their fee structure so you will have an idea of how billing will occur.
Step Four: Know the signs of a poor attorney
Knowing how to spot the signs of a poor attorney is just as important as knowing the qualities of a good divorce attorney in Florida. If you notice one or more of the red flags below, then it is a good idea to explore other prospects:
- Unresponsive: Is consistently late arriving to your meetings or responding to your calls and emails
- Evasive: Fails to provide you with a written estimate, list of policies, or a summary of what is covered in their fee structure
- A Bad Reputation: Poor online reviews or a bad industry reputation are red flags that you should not ignore
- Uneducated: Attorneys who lack the education or experience to handle a divorce case are a recipe for disaster
- Dismissive: Lawyers who are unwilling to answer your questions or who do not listen to you are poor choices
Step Five: Check references and reviews
You will boost your odds of a desirable outcome by selecting a divorce attorney in Florida with a proven track record of success. Additionally, check to see if the attorney you are considering has an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and outstanding online reviews. Look for reviews such as the one below that references an attorney’s good communication skills, professionalism, and transparency with fees:
“Florida Law Advisers, P.A. was recommended to me by a friend & he did not steer me wrong. I am grateful to them for keeping me informed every step of the way, their guidance, support and professionalism. They also made it easy for a single Mom to be able to find a way to obtain legal representation with their payment schedules.” – Christina Gonzalez, Google Reviewer
Contact Florida Law Advisers for Trusted Legal Guidance with Your Divorce
Divorces are never easy. But with a legal advocate in your corner, the process will seem less overwhelming and easier to manage. Whether you are pondering divorce or you are ready to move forward with divorce proceedings, an experienced Florida divorce lawyer can help you secure a fair outcome.
We invite you to contact us at Florida Law Advisers to request a free consultation with a member of our legal team. During your consultation, you will discover why residents across Greater Tampa turn to us to help them navigate through their divorce proceedings. We look forward to providing you with the trusted legal guidance that you deserve.