Florida Law Advisers, P.A.

Child Support Modification

No one can predict the future, and circumstances in life can change suddenly and unexpectedly. Florida family law courts understand this, and allows parents to modify child support orders if there has been a substantial change in circumstances. Under Florida child support law §61.13, both parents have the right to request a modification of child support. The modification can be to either increase or decrease the required amount of child support.

Child support obligations are regulated by the court and cannot be changed without court approval. In order to modify a child support arrangement, the party seeking the modification must prove to the court that there has been a substantial, material, and unanticipated change in circumstances. In addition, the party requesting the change will have to show the modification is in the best interest of the child. This can be difficult without experienced, skilled legal representation. If you want to request a modification or dispute a proposed modification, you should contact a family law attorney for assistance.

In order to obtain a modification of a child support order from a Florida family law court, there must be a substantial change in circumstances that could not be predicted or foreseen at the time that the original child support order was issued. Examples of possible unpredicted or unforeseen grounds for a modification include:

  • Economic hardship of a parent
  • Health care expenses of the parent or child
  • Increased cost of living
  • Disability of a parent or child
  • Bankruptcy
  • Incarceration
  • Sudden financial windfall or higher paying job

Losing a job may also be valid grounds to modify a child support order. Unemployment may temporarily stop or lower a parent’s child support obligations. However, the loss of employment must be done in good faith. Intentionally quitting a job or taking a lowering paying job for no reason other than to request a child support modification will not be seen as valid grounds for modification. On the other hand, if a parent obtains new employment with a higher salary or other form of increased compensation, a court may order an increase in child support payments.

Consult With a Child Support Lawyer in the Tampa Bay area

Regardless of whether you need help modifying an existing child support order or contesting a modification, Florida Law Advisers, P.A. can help. The Tampa child support lawyers at our firm have years of experience helping clients in all types of child custody modification matters. We know what it takes to obtain a child support modification and we continue to aggressively protect our clients both in and outside the courtroom.



Knowledgeable &

FREE Initial

No Nonsense
Case Evaluation

Payment Options



Excellent 9.6 of 10

Based on 75 reviews. Click below to see our reviews:

See Our Reviews

Search Florida
Legal Advice




Blog Posts & News

There are many factors that a judge may consider when determining if an award of alimony is appropriate. If alimony is appropriate the court will then have to determine the amount of alimony to be paid and the duration of payments. Regardless, the award of alimony may not leave the one paying the alimony with significantly less net income than the net income of the recipient unless there are written findings of exceptional circumstances.

High student loans, housing costs, and medical expenses have caused many Americans to struggle financially. Luckily, there are options to help alleviate the burden and get a fresh start. Many of the options available to consumers will even stop a foreclosure sale and allow you to keep the home. If you are considering relief through bankruptcy or facing the possibility of foreclosure, it is important to speak with an experienced bankruptcy attorney to determine the best course action for you. To schedule a free consultation with a bankruptcy attorney in Tampa call us at 800 990 7763.

After your bankruptcy is complete and you receive your discharge, the bankruptcy filing will appear on your credit report. If you completed your Chapter 13 repayment plan, it may remain on your credit report for 7 years. Chapter 7 bankruptcy may remain on your credit report for 10 years. It is important to remember that although Chapter 7 and 13 allow you to start living your life with a clean slate financially (except for those non-dischargeable debts), they do not wipe your credit report clean. You should consult with a bankruptcy lawyer for assistance on rebuilding your credit. In many cases, a person’s credit score will actually be improved by filing for bankruptcy.

Get Our Newsletter

Get a Free Consultation

Call, Email or Chat with a licensed attorney today!

Florida Law Advisers, P.A. Proudly Serves the Following Cities & Counties

Cities: Tampa Bay, Clearwater, St. Petersburg, Bradenton (Inquire about other cities)

Counties: Hillsborough, Pinellas, Pasco, Sarasota, Manatee (Inquire about other cities)

Click Here For

Send Us A Message